Thursday, June 08, 2006


Today, my father, my brother-in-law, my friend and I will be golfing at one of the nicest courses in Northwest Oregon. Two outings ago, I had one of the worst rounds of my recent golf career (not an actual career...just a figure of speech). In stark contrast, my last outing was literally the best round of my life. I would sincerely be satisfied with a compromise. Anywhere inbetween will be fine!

"The more expansive links-style layout features undulating native grass mounds, distinctive shape, judicious bunkering and formidable greens with short grass surrounds."

I love the game of golf. I think on Sunday, I realized one of the reasons I like it so much. Sure, I would enjoy it if I went out by myself - because there are moments of pride when you accomplish a feat that, though completely possible and even plausable, so often seems to elude your grasp. But even in the midst of one of my personal greatest golf days, I got to celebrate the accomplishments of my friends, and that's what I love the most.

Two in particular:

I won't lie - Eric was not playing very well most of the day. But then on the 8th hole, from 90ft away, he pitches (golf pitch, not baseball) the ball toward the green. Two bounces on the dancefloor and an arching roll bury the dimpled sphere in bottom of the cup. Here's my progression of comments: "Nice ball...looking good...curl, curl, curl....IT'S IN THE HOLE...yeaaaaahhahaha!!!!"

Then Jimbo - a fairly standard day for him. He had some nice shots - a few pars, a few bogeys. Then on the 7th hole - a par 3 (take note of that number). Par is defined as follows: "A number assigned to an individual hole and to the full collection of holes on a course that represents the expected number of strokes it should take to play each hole." Jim hits this beautiful soaring tee shot that lands about 15 feet away from the pin. Eric and I were nowhere near...both off the green. After we made our attempts to get close, Jim steps up and drains his birdie putt. 2 strokes folks! You're supposed to take 3...nice bird!

So today, I'm excited because it's a nice course, and it's FREE! But mostly, I'm looking forward to the many mini celebrations I get to have with my friends.

PB

1 comment:

Roy B. said...

You hit the nail right on the head Peaby! Even alone it's those little celebrations (sometimes on an otherwise terrible round) that help us enjoy the game, but when you're walkin' and talkin' and celebratin' and commiseratin' with friends you love - life is good. I remember a couple of those celebrations on the round you write about - like eets' incredible birdie on that 191 par three, at least one of your beautiful cut the corner, over the trees tee shots, and the fact that in the forest of doubles and triples I actually got three pars. And what a beautiful course! Nice way to spend the afternoon and evening.