Sunday, January 18, 2009

Well, the holiday weekend is far from over, but I thought I'd better get this blog post in this afternoon. The Posenjaks are on their way down, and if I wait till after their visit, I'll have way to much to blog about! So...that post to come next weekend...

Anyway, Friday after work, Becky, Jack and I headed out to Astoria to stay in a yurt at Ft. Stevens. We sure lucked out on the weather. 55 and sunny both days...pretty unusual for an Oregon Coast weekend in January. We definitely took advantage of it.

The yurt was perfect for Jack. He had plenty of room to play and we weren't worried about him wandering off. Apparently, he thinks he is hot stuff....

Jack is a constant wiggle-worm, and its a little difficult to get a pic of him sitting still. But sometimes I like they way they turn out.

We got to enjoy a nice fire both evenings.


Saturday morning we had breakfast burritos...one of my camping specialties...just ask Trent, Eric and Jim. After breakfast, I went for a run, so Becky pulled Jack along in the bike trailer to keep me company...they did great - 5 miles!


This is a pic of Jen and me at the wreck of the Peter Iredale sometime in 1987 or so.



It was fun to see the same spot 20 years later...and take my son with me!


Jack was more interested in watching the little doggies running around the beach than he was in posing for pictures with mom and dad.


We drove in to Astoria for dinner and some sightseeing on Saturday evening. I've always wanted to drive across the Astoria bridge, so we did! It's enormous. We got to Washington and then turned around and came back.


Becky and I are such nerds...we've gotten hooked on "The Deadliest Catch". Its a Discovery Channel show about crab fishing in Alaska. We're watching them back to back on DVD. We were driving around town, and stumbled across this boat docked in Astoria. It's the Aleutian Ballad - one of the boats featured in our show!! We had to get a picture. Appartenly, they've turned it into a crab-fishing tour boat, but it was awesome, nonetheless.


Jack enjoyed the drive around town, but spent most of it napping.



Today was another beautiful day, so we went for a bike ride - this time, I got to pull Jack. It was so nice out, we rode for about 2 hours, and visited some of the historic sites around the state park.

Some seriously steep stairs (talk about alliteration) with the Lewis & Clark batter in the background.

Becky and Jack keeping an eye out in the West Battery Command Station.



We were so fortunate to have nice weather, but it just accentuated how joyful we were to be spending time with one another. I'm a pretty blessed guy.

8 comments:

The Looney Kids said...

That looks like fun, never heard of a yurt... Mikayla looked at your blog and pointed at Jack and says "mom, that's a really cute baby!" :)

Roy B. said...

You sure filled the weekend with a lot of fun. And yes, I love the comparison shots of Mike and Jen, then Mike and Jack at the Peter Iredale. I thought more of it would be under the sand by now.

Brazenlilly said...

Well, he IS hot stuff! Also, I'm not sure whose hair is more awesome in the flashback picture--my bowl bangs or your beehive. Looks like such a fun weekend! Those yerts are like the ones I saw in Mongolia!

Anonymous said...

What an active little family you have, love it!

Jo B. said...

Jack looks like he is having the time of his life! The yurt reminds me of a giant playpen...just the thing for a toddler! Love that you posted pix of your adventure! Thanks!
Gma JoJo

Steph said...

I love yurts! You can't beat camping with a heater! Woot. How fun to bike all around on such nice days. Jack looks like he loves his helmet. :) Also, I'm glad you guys can at least admit you are nerds with the crabbing show thing. No you didn't get a picture with that boat!!!

sarah said...

So how were you driving and taking a picture of the Astoria Bridge =)? It looks like you guys had a wonderful time on your trip. I'm glad you were able to get away and that you were blessed with great weather! I can never get enough Jack pictures!

Selah said...

Wow-- what great pictures. Becky you look so happy with your guys. Jack is one loved baby I can tell. Miss seeing you more and hope to see you soon before we are sending our boys off to preschool:) What a fun trip! We took all four kids when they were very little to the yurts too-- what great memories.
xo--Kimberly