Friday, September 21, 2007

Ocassionally, I revisit a vague recollection of a story in my past. I've never been quite certain if it was actually something that I read, or just a dream that I had at some point in my life.

In the story, I'm in the middle of an Amazonian flood plain in a little shack. The river is nearby, and a large clearing surrounds the little building. At some point in the story, I see a massive storm of marching ants coming toward me. BILLIONS of ants. The whole dream is bathed in orange light because there are huge flames engulfing the entire jungle.

Sometimes I try to remember more details...did I actually read this story, or was it purely a dream? I think it was both. Today, I stumbled across a reference to Leningen Versus the Ants. Immediately, I knew what it was! We read the short story in 3rd or 4th grade. I must have had some pretty vibrant dreams about it afterward becuase it always seems so real when I think back.

Anyway...a little mystery of my life solved today.

EDIT: I just found and re-read this story. It's just as creepy as I remember. You should check it out.

3 comments:

Glory Laine said...

Lots of ants coming to get me. Nightmares. I'll pass.

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading it. Now I know why you would scream like a little girl in your sleep when we were roommates!

My favorite line was...

"Critical situations first become crises," he explained to his men, "when oxen or women get excited."

Peaby said...

I liked that line too, but I was afraid I would get some women "excited" if I mentioned it. Didn't want a crisis on my hands.