Thursday, May 07, 2009

Okay...blog time for Mike! It seems like a lot's been happening around our house lately, so instead of lots of posts, I going to do one full of miscellany - thanks Brad for introducing me to the noun version. Becky covered Easter and the marathon (but I'm sure I'll have a few things to say about it), I'll fill in the gaps.

Okay, one more from Easter...this is my son. Sometimes we post pictures of him sitting still and smiling, but really...this is my son. Mouth full of food, squirming like crazy, and a mischevious little smile on his face. Man I love this kid.



A couple weeks ago, for Becky's birthday, her dear cousin Ana came for a surprise visit. I picked her up at the train station and we pulled into the driveway just as Becky was getting out of the car with Jack. She looked at us like "who is that woman with my husband?" But she quickly realized who it was and we had a great weekend together as an extended family. Ana is one of the most tender-hearted people I know and she and Beck have a special bond that is a joy to witness. Jack grew quite fond of her as well!



So I had a good-news, bad-news kind of day a while back. I found out that I got to golf with some guys from work on a Monday afternoon (good news). On the way to the golf course, I got pulled over in a school-zone (bad news)! I've been ticket-free and accident-free since I got my license - never even pulled over!!! I was pretty irritated at my lapse in focus. I planned my speech for the officer, and was ready to lay on the "I'm a good person" line (a la Stephanie), but he wasn't really interested in hearing it.

"License, please"
"Here you are, sir"
"Did you realize you went through a school zone"
"No sir, I didn't"
"Is this your first time here?"
"No sir, it's not."
"Okay, I'll be right with you."

5 minutes later (and one of my golf buddies driving by laughing), and the officer handed me the $335 ticket!! Luckily, I can go to traffic safety school and prevent the ticket from posting to my record. Guess how much traffic safety school costs...yup...$335. We almost go more bad news, because the class was scheduled for the weekend we're planning to visit Wenatchee. But the Judge was gracious and allowed me to reschedule...phew!

I told you about the foam bits from work that Jack has been enjoying...here's another fun picture to make you smile.



This picture is from a few months back when we visited the coast with my family. It's an old picture, but one of my favorites. I love my fam!!


We also got to spend some time at the coast with our dear friends a little more recently. There are other blogs floating around about it, so I'll just post this picture of Jim and me climbing a rock. That's all:


So, thanks to my sweet wife for the post about the marathon. It was indeed a great experience. I'm a little irritated that my old IT Band pain has come back and is stubbornly hanging on, but I'm praying its temporary and I can get back out on the road next week. We'll see. I think the most surprising thing is that even though the pain and exhaustion (especially in the last few miles) was very real during the run, when I think back, I get excited and remember the feeling of knowing that in spite of whatever I was feeling, I could get to the finish line. I wasn't thinking "oh this is terrible, get me to the end." I was thinking "this is fantastic...with each step, I'm getting closer and closer to my goal." It was a good feeling (although I made some funny noises when my quads would cramp or my knee would lock up). Crazy enough...it makes me want to do another one. But that doesn't surprise you, I'm sure. Becky posted some nice pictures of the race, but here's how my body really felt at the end:


Well, today, we got to experience Jack's second trip to the ER!! Praise God it was much less of an experience than the first round. Just as he does a hundred times a day, Jack got moving pretty quickly and tripped up on the carpet, his shoes, his long jeans, his own feet...something and took a tumble. unfortunately, his forehead collided with the corner of a wall and split it open a bit. Becky called me at work and very calmly told me what had happend (good composure, mom!). We called the doctor, and they advised we go to the emergency room first. We decided Becky should just drive to the ER and I'd meet them there.

I arrived a few minutes ahead, but when they pulled up, I was glad to see that Jack was acting like himself and calling a cheerful "Dada...dada" like normal. Nina did a great job with the steri-strip, and once we got inside, they confirmed it was a pretty minor injury. they said we did the right thing by bringing him in, and they put on some really expensive super-glue and a really expensive band-aid and sent us home. Of course, the worst part for Jack was being held still...but that's my kiddo. Here's his battle wound all patched up.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Mike!

I am glad the judge allowed you to reschedule your class... otherwise, I was going to try to convince you to just pay the ticket so you could still come up to Wenatchee!

Jo B. said...

You crack me up, Son! I learn that 1. You got a traffic ticket, 2. Jack went to the ER, and 3. You shaved your whiskers... all in one great blog. Smooth...smooth! Looking forward to kissing Jack's forhead,your smiling face, and giving Becky a big hug for being her wonderful self.
Mom

Brazenlilly said...

Oh, man, I can't believe Jack's been to the ER twice in his little life! Great job to Becky for staying calm and PTL it was not serious. He's just a busy boy! Sorry about the ticket. Congrats for going 13 years, though! Love you guys.

Steph said...

I'm telling you, tears work! And maybe mentioning you're on your way to church. Except on the women cops. :)

I love the family beach pic!

One thing's for sure with Jack...you'll never be bored! Love that kiddo!

Roy B. said...

Hey, 13 years with accidents, tickets or even traffic-cop stops. You're a driver to be trusted! Mom and I talked about our records.. hmm.. she has 3 tickets and 4 accidents to her credit (and doesn't know I'm telling everyone). One of the tickets was as she pulled into the church parking lot on Sunday morning. With another one, Mike was 5-6 years old in the back seat and asked the police officer if he was going to take his mommy to jail.

Jo B. said...

Thanks for spilling the beans, Roy. I was setting an example for my kids. You know...this is NOT how to drive. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Jo

Michelle & Luke said...

GREAT BLOG! i am glad you're all caught up- loved the variety & glad jack is ok!

SaraJane Campbell said...

Nice work on the Marathon! I am planning on running my second marathon in NYC next november. I am helping a friend train for her first. Keep up the running, but remember to take the next few weeks easy with the running. Also if you ever once tips on how to fix the IT band I am a pro!

Blessings to you and your family.

anamarie said...

Mike! Okay, so things have been a bit busy on this end and just tuned in to you and Beck's blog to see that I got to be a part of it... Thank you for including me and for your thoughtful words... The time I spent with you guys was just what I needed, just when I needed it... Can't wait for the next one and there is even-- more-- to celebrate now with the new addition!! I miss and love all three of you, and can't wait to love a fourth... Love, cousin Ana