Tuesday, May 05, 2009

For those of you who haven't heard how awesome my husband is...let me tell you- he's amazing! This past weekend- he ran a marathon! That's right...a marathon, and Jack and I got to cheer him on. We were and are so proud of him. The race was in Northern California at the Avenue of the Giants. We made a quick trip of it by leaving early Saturday morning and arriving back home late Sunday night. Does that sounds crazy? It was, but totally worth it. Jack was a great traveler. It certainly helped that he was entertained by Uncle Jim and Uncle Trent who also ran the marathon, and the DVD player we borrowed from Carson and Sydney certainly came in handy on the drive home.

So I'm sure Mike will post more on the details of the actual race, but here are a few highlights from the trip.
First of all- I've always loved the men that Mike has surrounding him, but this was certainly a much closer look than I've gotten before (We missed you Eric- the guys sure felt your support even though you couldn't be there ). I learned a few things about these boys..some I already knew, but it was nice to be reminded:

1) They're really funny! I found myself laughing a lot- even had tears one time- the good kind!
2)These men love meat...sausage, bacon...really any kind. They get downright giddy when they talk about it. Jim found a tiny piece of sausage hiding under his toast after eating his meat lovers omelet Sat. night and the joy expressed by all was quite impressive.
3) They love their families. After the race- they kept talking about how thinking of their families helped them going during the more difficult parts of the run and how they couldn't wait to see them when they got home.
4) They are willing to hang out in a lame hotel lobby for an hour just to make sure a certain boy named Jack gets to sleep.
5) They are self sacrificing. Jim drove the entire way there and back!
6) They aren't fans of unsalted peanuts! I really thought they were salted- oops!
7) Trent's dream meal would include a double whopper from BK and chili cheese Frito's.
8) I think they secretly liked it when I played the Wiggles for Jack. They won't admit it, but I saw some head bobbin' and toe tappin' taking place during the songs. :)
9) They really look out for each other and don't tell them I said this, but they're really thoughtful guys. They sure made me feel included this weekend and looked out for us. I'm so glad that we got to tag along.

...so I could go on, but onto the pictures and video...

Before the race



The start of the race




Half way there




Waiting for the big finish!


Crossing the Finish line!


You...yeah you...I just killed this marathon...bring on the next one!



The drive back home



Now don't you just feel like you were there!

5 comments:

Jim said...

Thanks Becky. The trip wouldn't have been complete without you and Jack. It's good to see Trent & I weren't the only ones with the giggles after spending 18 hours in the car together.

Steph said...

Becky! Awesome post! Awesome pics and video! I totally feel like I was there...and a small part of me (try to find it) wishes I were! I'm glad you had a good experience sharing a car and hotel room with all those boys. :) Yay, Mike!!!

Jo B. said...

Becky,
We were bragging on you guys this evening to some friends. Love your post with pix, videos and details! So much fun to watch.
Jo

Brazenlilly said...

Great post! I DO feel like I was there. Who doesn't love the "hand-as-attacking-tickle-snake"? I'm proud of all of you--the runners and the cheerers. It's a MEMORY, for sure! Trent loved his time with Jack. I'm sure he loved his time with the rest of you too, but he really only mentioned Jack.

Michelle & Luke said...

becky, TAKE OVER THE BLOG. seriously this is a blog with some meat to it. Mike's are getting a little short on stories & pictures, and this one rocks. nice use of multimedia. AND GOOD JOB MIKE! what an awesome accomplishment!