Saturday, September 12, 2009

I guess we don't take any pictures in our backyard. If you have seen us at our most vulnerable, you know why. I've basically been ignoring it for the last 3 years. Sure, when the weeds get to waist level (I'm not kidding) I spend a few hours hacking them down, but I've always delayed my plans for landscaping. Something else has always taken priority, and the backyard stayed a jungle! A couple of weeks ago, I finally got inspired, and Jim volunteered to help me get the project going. We spent most of the day digging, leveling and troubleshooting ways to mitigate the water that pours onto our property when the neighbor's drain clogs.

I had plans to continue the project today, and my dad said he would love to come help me, and boy, we got a lot done. It sure helped to have his truck and his recent experince putting in some terracing and pathways in his own yard. The extra shovel and rake didn't hurt either. After about 8 hours, this is the current look in my backyard. Much improved, and I'd be proud to show any of you the backyard next time you're over, intead of closing the curtains and hoping you don't look outside!

Of course, I never remember to take true "before" pictures, so here are a few "in process" pictures:




We finished the terracing, and I'm going to put some barkdust and plants up in the box.


Probably some colorful plants (maybe a Hydrangea for my mom to harvest) here in the back corner.

The whole yard used to slope toward the house (which complicated things when the neighbor's lake got too full). So we graded away from the house, so for now at least the water will settle six feet away instead of up against the foundation. Then the gravel makes a nice level look when you enter the backyard.


Jack decided to help me clean up. Thanks buddy!



Since I don't get around to posting often, here's another picture of my Baby (and my baby) from our anniversary weekend to downtown Portland last weekend. Normally she doesn't let me post pictures of her belly (without a shirt over it), but I told her how beautiful she was and bartered with the picture of me you see below. I'm not proud, but it was worth it to show off my gorgeous pregnant wife!!


Tada! This is what happens when Becky gets behind the camera.
One more of my Jack for kicks. This is day one people! Can't believe how quickly it has gone.

10 comments:

Jo B. said...

Wow, what a transformation! You and your Dad make a good team! Thanks for posting the pix. Love Becky's bump, too!
Mom/Jo

Steph said...

First and foremost, I LOVE Beck's tummy. It's beautiful! I am so glad you talked her into that one and posting it for us! One day, your baby girl will want that framed for herself.

Secondly, WOW! The backyard looks AWESOME! I'm totally impressed. I also never noticed the weeds so good job on the hiding them bit. Please don't look out the windows when you come to our house. Just kidding, Jim - I know you just picked the weeds. ;P

Anonymous said...

Mike, your backyard looks great! And the work you and your dad did looks great too!

(sorry, but someone had to be the first one to make fun of your picture)

Michelle & Luke said...

WOW- Becky's belly looks so tiny still!!! I love it. MORE BECKY BELLY PICS!!! as for the second pic...It makes me feel uneasy for some reason. Very uneasy. oh- and way to go on the yard- I am SO impressed!!!

Anonymous said...

Que linda es mi mijita(how beautiful is my daughter.)Thankful beyond words that all is well!!
I'm also thankful that Jack and baby girl B. have a fun silly daddy.Love that picture(:

Last but not least the yard looks incredible. Not only did you get to have a great memory working with papa Roy but Jack saw family working together and be a part. I love those moments to keep!!

Love, Nina

Anonymous said...

Dear Jack,
Our life is better and richer from the moment you arrived!!!!
What a sweet picture of such a sweet boy(:
xoxoxox
Nina

Roy B. said...

Hmm. Strange picture strangely disappears.

eets said...

First...I'm with Roy in noting the picture is suddenly and oddly missing.

Second, speaking as a proud brother-in-law...Becky looks so pretty in this post and the last! Baby girl Bunch is going to be a cutie!

Peaby said...

um....it was Becky's idea...seriously :-)

Unknown said...

Mike, Becky is adorably beautiful. Thank you for sharing and good luck with your project. Hugs.
-Beth