Friday, December 02, 2005

Something I wanted to write about earlier this week, but didn't have time...

Last weekend, Becky and I went to the coast (thank you Tompkins) and spent some time relaxing. A few notable events transpired:

1) We watched the entire 2nd season of Scrubs in two days.
2) We bought an entire turkey for the two of us even though we had just had 2 turkey dinners the day before.
3) I took a soothing bath and could almost fit my entire body under the water.
4) Lily got to run around on the beach entire-ly unleashed.

The forth event is the one I wish to discuss. I've always been a little sad that Beagles are so inquisitive. I spend so much time outside, and I hate having to keep her tied up. But it has been said that once their nose turns, their ears turn off. It's a little risky to let a beagle rome without a leash, due to their inherent desire to follow a scent. However, the last time we were in Florence (for the Cape Mountain Trail Run...woop, woop!), Maddie (the Marr's golden retreiver) and Sunny (the Thompson's beagle) got to run around on the beach, and I was literally sad that my dog was not there to run around as well. Ever since that day, I had evisioned bringing my beagle back to the dunes and letting her run free.

I'm pleased to say, the weather was perfect and my dog behaved like an angel. Over and again, she ran to the edge a dune and looked back to make sure we were coming in the same direction before she went down the other side. If we were headed in another direction, she came sprinting back to us. We played for a couple hours each day, and it was heartwarming.

PB

1 comment:

Roy B. said...

A whole turkey? Hope you had leftovers.

Then there's the quote about beagles, "...once their noses turns, their ears turn off." I think we all have a little bit of beagle in us. "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts."