Wednesday, August 23, 2006

It's customary after I ride my bike to work for me to take a shower. I feel it's a good thing for me and for my coworkers. Normally, the gym and locker-room are quite empty when I arrive. Today - different story. As soon as I entered the doors, I saw a hundred people milling around the lobby speaking in a language that I didn't understand. Luckily, "excuse me" works pretty well accross language borders when you've got a flashing headlight and you point to where you want to go. After I navigated the sea of foreigners, I headed for the locker-room. Before I could get undressed (halfway actually...), "scuze me...you work dis?" A short European man points to his combination lock. I tried to explain the turn to the right to clear the lock - clockwise to the first number - counterclockwise past the first number to the second number - and clockwise directly to the third. The last number was 31 and I had my thumb over the 1, so I went to three and it didn't work. Great teacher. So I explained it again, but they guy looked at me blankly.

The lock was open, anyway, so I handed it to him and told him to keep the little piece of paper with the combination on it. Good luck buddy!

A few more guys (in various stages of undress) acosted me on the way to the shower (now fully undressed - with a towel, thank you) and asked for assistance. After the shower, I came back to my locker and saw little groups of 3 showing each other how to work the little machine. I'd like to think I inspired that learning. You know...like a candle light session? One lights the other and so on....

One more naked man asked me how to work the lock, and after I showed him, I asked where he was from. "The Netherlands," he said.
"But we are all European's...from all around. We are here for the Hood to Coast race. This morning we have a...how do you call it [yes he really said that]...wake up run."

I said...that's not how I call it...but good for you. No that's not what I said.

Now I'm at my desk.

Interesting morning.

PB

6 comments:

Jim said...

That was...how do you call it...an awesome story.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. That's pretty funny!

No pictures to go with this story? Good, the mental picture was plenty.

Peaby said...

if only my cell phone had a camera on it...

Steph said...

I love naked stories!

Brazenlilly said...

I hate it when people follow a great story with their own. But I'm going to. When mom and I saw Tarzan last week, we were in the top balcony of the theater in the front row. Our row was literally the only row that had not been purchased in bulk by a tour of at least 300 Japanese women. Funny.

Peaby said...

Steph...let me tell you another naked story...

It involves your a deck of cards, nails, snow and your husband.

That probably sounds bad...