Wednesday, November 29, 2006




In about four hours, this is where Becky and I will be. I can't wait! The first skiing of the season. I love night skiing. Partly because it's how I first learned, I'm sure. I'll always remember my first time up the mountain. I asked Jim if I could spend some time on the rope-tow hill (yes I was a little scared). After one time down the little slope, Jim said, "You're ready...come on!" and we boarded the chair lift. Believe me...I was not feeling ready. Many falls later, that first ride seems like a breeze.

One of my favorite parts about night skiing is gliding through an area where the lights fail to illuminate. For a few dark seconds, you have no idea what's in front of you and the little bumps and dips in the terrain throw you off balance. Just enough out of control to still be having fun. When there is no wind, I love the quiet swish of snow carved off the edge of the skis.

Becky started skiing last year, and she picked it up like a champ. I can't wait to be up on the chair lift with my wife...my arm wrapped around her (cause it'll be cold tonight) with the bitter breeze on our noses. I love being able to do little tricks to try to impress her. I'll most likely fall and embarass myself, but it's a good excuse to laugh together. And I love being able to encourage her and watch her confidence grow and see her make progress. It's a joy all around!

Woohoo!! Can't wait to be up there!

4 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

So, how was it? Did you impress her? :)

Peaby said...

It was amazing! The snow was great...no nasty ice anywhere. Becky was a pro! She didn't miss a beat from last season. She was cruising down the runs like she owned them.

Not sure about the impressing, but I did fall on my butt a few times.

Kristen said...

Hey Bunch!!! This is the only way I could think of reaching you...I have your flash. Not sure if you want it this weekend but if you do feel free to call me 503.849.7402. If not I'll bring it Monday. Hope you had fun skiing again! Kristen

Anonymous said...

You totally impressed me! I love skiing with you too- more when I don't fall repeatedly, but even then you make it fun.
-Becky