Thursday, November 16, 2006

Today, Jim and I planned a lunch outing that included a trip to REI (for new trekking poles) and a visit to the brand new POPEYE's restaurant that opened near work. We've actually been counting down the days till it opened, and in fact, we thought yesterday was the day (due to some erroneous info from someone...coughstephanie). So I guess the story starts yesterday. We were ready for some chicken y'all. As we drove up to the restaurant, we read the sign that said, "Opens Nov 16th!" We quickly realized that it was only the 15th and we would have to come back tomorrow...today.

So we drove into the parking lot (which was noticeably full). I saw some reverse lights and in a cat-like move hit the clutch with my left foot, hit the brake with my right, rocked my right foot over to the gas to keep my beater from dying, and flipped my blinker on to claim the spot before the van circling the lot could see it...all in about 0.45 seconds. It was impressive...Jim said so. After that unprecedented move, I realized that the van contained an elderly woman, and I felt that I had an unfair advantage due to my youthful and skilled driving. So...Hesitantly, I turned off my blinker and waved her into the spot. I am a nice guy. Fortunately, there was a miscommunication and she thought I was just waving at her to get out of the way. So when she drove by without turning into the spot, I counted it as good fortune (or parking lot karma) and pulled in.

As soon as we cleared the first row of cars and could see the door to the restaurant, we were met with a horrendous sight. The line was out the door, and there were approximately 329 cars in the drive-through line. Our stomachs would have to wait another day (or a week if it stays like this) to be rewarded with fried chicken and biscuits.

We gave up the dream and headed to REI. As we pulled into the parking lot, I spotted a new restaurant called "Buffalo Wing something or other". Jim had mentioned this place a couple days ago, so I pointed at it excitedly as if to say (because for some reason my mouth didn't work), "Look Jim! There's that place you talked about the other day. I'm glad you hyped it up, because now we get to have lunch there!" But mostly I just went, "ah...uh....hmm." So we made a quick trip into REI, and I decided on a nice set of Black Diamond flick-lock poles.

The wing place was good. I commented to Jim, "So basically Hooters without the tight shirts." (I actually said "boobies," but sometimes my mom reads this blog.) He concurred...Although neither of us have been to Hooters! (we saw it on The Office). When the non-tight shirtted waitress asked us what kind of sauce we wanted on the wings, we said, "What are our options." Bad question...there are 14 different kinds...so we chose Honey BBQ and Caribbean Jerk. Not bad...the latter was a little spicy, but it was good nonetheless.

Aaaaaanyway. Just thought I would share a little of my day with you.

PB

6 comments:

eets said...

2 things

1.) Steph was right. They opened yesterday at 5PM and had always planned on opening yesterday but only changed the sign yesterday when they thought they wouldn't get it open. Somehow they managed to get it open by 5 y-day anyway.

2.) You went to a Buffalo wings place without me!! I love Buffalo wings!

Peaby said...

1. Stephanie - I apologize for slandering your name.

2. I seem to remember inviting you, Eric.

Jim said...

This entry truly demonstrates the beauty of blogging. I was thinking that yesterday was a good day, but nothing out of the ordinary. Then you blog about the little things we do and say and the experiences we share and it made me realize how much fun it is to have friends and generally speaking just be alive!

Anonymous said...

Chicken sounds good. Especially with a spicy sauce.

They should open a "Buffalo Wing something or other" in Wenatchee.

Peaby said...

Okay...so it's

Buffalo Wild Wings Bar & Grill

Here's their sauce list:

Smilin’
Sweet BBQ™ - Traditional BBQ sauce: Satisfyingly sweet.
Teriyaki™- Terrifically tasty teriyaki sauce.
Mild™ - Classic wing sauce: High flavor, low heat.
Parmesan Garlic™ - Roasted garlic and Parmesan sauce with Italian herbs.

Sizzlin’
Medium™ - Classic wing sauce: Comfortably hot.
Honey BBQ™ - A sweet, sassy sauce: Savor the flavor.
Spicy Garlic™ - A tasty, spicy, garlicky good sauce.
Asian Zing™ - Sweet meets heat: A chili pepper, soy and ginger sauce.
Caribbean Jerk™ - Red peppers you love, island spices you crave: An exotic, delicious sauce.

Screamin’
Hot BBQ™ - Rich BBQ sauce with a touch of heat.
Hot™ - Classic wing sauce: Delicious flavor, exhilarating heat.
Mango Habanero™ - Feel the burn, savor the sweet: Two sensations, one sauce.
Wild™ - Classic wing sauce: Big flavor, blisterin’ heat.
Blazin’® - It's the hottest sauce we got. You'd BETTER-BE-READY BLAZIN' ®

Steph said...

WELL, I was GOING to write a super-offended comment because I am NOT blind, but THANK YOU Eric for giving me props. And thank you Mike for taking back your *cough* rude comment. =P