Wednesday, November 19, 2008

It's no surprise to anyone who knows me...but I am a competitive person. I'm sure it's obnoxious from time to time, but I always want to do well at whatever I'm doing. Ever since my last Nike+ competition ended, my running has tapered down to once a week or so. It surprised me how quickly my motivation waned in the absence of external pressure...hmmm...I guess maybe I don't love running as much as I love competing. So with this knowledge, I joined another challenge with my friends at work. We've got a 44 day timeline (yesterday through New Years Day) and a goal to pack in as many miles as possible.


Since the competition spans Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, I named it the New-chris-murkey-trot. And, of course, had to design a little mascot!

It's going to be interesting, since the weather is turning here in Oregon, and I'm not a fan of running on a treadmill. But I guess with the proper motivation, I'll be able to keep it up!

7 comments:

Jim said...

Do you think your idea was spawned (subconsciously) from our conversation about turducken?

I bet new-chris-murkey would be great with cranberry jelly.

Kristen said...

I couldn't agree more. I love competing...not so much running! Maybe this little competition will get me closer to winning my other competition with Annalee. HA! :) Too bad I'm not joking. LOL

Brazenlilly said...

Wow! I'm proud of you. I, too, need mucho extrinsic motivation for just about any goal-reaching. Good luck!

AZChelsea said...

Fantastic idea! I wish I had friends to do challenges with....it's just not the same with strangers. I guess I gotta work hard to get some of my running friends to get a Sportband....after all, they're not true runners without one, right? You're mascott is so funny, but your name of the challenge is even more hilarious! And thanks for adding me to your "cool blogs" list....I feel "cool"!

Peaby said...

Chels - I'd challenge you, but I know you'd beat me! Maybe after this one, when I'm feeling victorious :-)

Roy B. said...

Spanning this event over T-Day and Christmas and NewYear's Day seems like a great idea to me. All the good eating times and a built-in accountability not to just let it sit in your gut. I need something like this - only for a good walking (not running) competition... which reminds me that the only times I get serious about exercise is when there's a big backpack trip coming up or I am doing Portland-to-Coast. More evidence that "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

SaraJane Campbell said...

Winter in Oregon is a great time to run. Don't jump on the treadmill. Go get yourself one good outfit for our crazy weather and find yourself running outside. Once I learned how to dress for the weather, I have never looked back.