Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE sunburns.

I hate them so much! In 2005, I burned my thighs on a trail run with Jim. That was annoying, but before that, the last bad sunburn I had was the summer after my Freshman year in college. I drove up to Wenatchee to visit Brad and go to the Creation Festival at the Gorge Amphitheater...and to meet Lindsey for the first time! Well I was a vain college guy and wanted to work on my tan, so I rocked a wife-beater and shorts all day long. 8 hours in 90+ heat, thin air, and absolutely no sun-screen. BAD MOVE! I was crispy. That night, Brad's mom gave me some solarcaine spray that is supposed to help the burn not itch. Well, I'm not quite sure becuase when I got up in the middle of the night to use it, I put so much on that the aerosol fumes in the enclosed bathroom knocked me out. I literally fell flat as I attempted to return to my bed. The 6 hour drive home the next day was miserable. Constant prickling and stinging all over my arms, legs, face, neck, and hands. My feet and ankles were okay! Luckily I was still into scrunching up socks with my shoes...instead of the no-shows of today. (Brad's tan started about halfway up his calves!).

Since then I've been very good at applying sunscreen. Not so much because of the skin cancer in my family (of which my mother would remind me), but simply because I HATE that feeling. And also because Becky will not leave me even if I have a really bad farmer tan!

Well on monday, I played golf in Southern Cal with some fellas on a work trip. I even packed sunscreen, but forgot to put it on before we started. When I remembered, we were already playing and I didn't want to look like a dork slathering on the white goop and holding everyone up! I'm an idiot. I would gladly look like a dork to avoid the pain I'm feeling right now.

PB

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all... you don't have any proof that I wore my socks that way!

Second, did Becky actually SAY that she wouldn't leave you with a farmer's tan, or are you assuming that?

Third, I hope you feel better soon. I am picturing you at your desk, really stiff, and all bright red!

Linz said...

I can verify that you wore your socks that way!

Glory Laine said...

Got a little crispy myself this weekend. Even the babies got a little on their faces. A little parenting advice....make them where hats from the get go. Otherwise when your at the state fair you spend your time bending over picking up sun hats off the dusty ground for the millionth time. They seriously acted like I was putting a crown of thorns on their heads.