Tuesday, May 27, 2008

We revived the Memorial Day Weekend bike trip this year. Trent joined us on his new bike! None of us were quite as "bike-fit" as Jim and I were last year, so we only went 100 miles on an overnighter. 3 days on the bike saddle might just have killed us.
Day 1:
Riding past Faraday Lake outside of Estacada. The road is closed to vehicular traffic, so we had complete freedom. It was nice not to be looking over our shoulders.
Only Trent could pull off an entire outfit of compression fit performance attire.

Trent is actually on his bike in this picture. I'm not sure why he looks like that.

Day 2:

This is the top of a BIG hill that we rode UP the day before. We were excited about riding down it in the morning. I stopped to take these pictures of the guys and after they sped off down the hill, I put my camera away and got on my bike. As soon as I was clipped into my pedals, I realized that my back tire was completely flat. The guys were out of view and already about a half mile away. So I pulled to the side and started working on changing my flat.


I flagged down the first car that passed and asked him to tell the guys what happened. But it was a little too late. As he drove off, I saw Jim powering up the hill AGAIN to come find me. What a guy. Trent apparently did not care if I had died.

We were surprised by unexpected sunshine all day on Saturday, so the on and off rain on Sunday did not dampen our spirits. A cup of hot cofffee and a few donuts in Estacada gave us enough juice to get home in the drizzle. I had one more flat tire, but now I'm a pro at changing them!

What a great weekend. I truly love the sense of freedom and independence about riding my bike. It's nice to know that I got from my house in Beaverton to the Mount Hood national forest without ever getting in my car (the MAX lightrail helped). I like it so much, I rode in to work today.

Good times!

p.s. - Jack slept in till 8am for Becky while I was gone.

11 comments:

Steph said...

First of all, I like your layout WAY better! It's looks great and I love your banner pics. :) Second, YAY for Jack! And third, I loved the bike trip commentary - especially the bit about my strong, courageous husband fighting his way back up the massive mountain to help his friend...while Trent took a rest. :) Kidding, kidding!

Jim said...

Thanks dude!

sarah said...

Only 100 miles. You make that sound like no big deal. =) Glad you all had fun! I love the new layout!!

Kristen said...

it looks like you had so much fun!!!

Steph said...

On second look, my comment is kind of harsh. I didn't mean that I didn't like your old layout. Except that it was orange. Anyways. I just REALLY like this new layout. That's all. Ok, bye!

Peaby said...

it's okay, steph...becky hated it too.

Brazenlilly said...

I, too, really like the new layout and thanks for the stories and pics for those of us who not only were not there this weekend, but will NEVER be there on a 100 mile overnight camping trip. Also, Trent may be able to pull of the outfit, but he is sporting some seriously white legs.

Jonathan said...

Sweet trip - I love the relaxation and exhilaration of biking. How sweet to find a closed off road.

Looks like a ton of fun.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun... except for the uphill parts. I might bike 100 miles if it was all downhill.

I too like the new blog design.

Linz said...

I love the new blog design! Also, give Jack a high-five for me...nice work buddy!

Roy B. said...

Super! .. the new blog look AND the bike trip pix, and great story about the flat tire. roy