Monday, October 24, 2005

I'm going to be a skiist.

Jim and I went to the REI sidewalk sale for the Tualatin location (our second in a month). Once again, we decided to get in line 3 hours before the sale in hopes of grabbing some cool gear.

Let's analyze the purpose of a line. I feel it is safe to assume that most people...at least in our society...understand the concept of waiting in line (or "waiting on queue," if you're British). Usually, a line forms when something desirable is in short supply or is offered for a limited time. In order to better their chances of receiving that thing, one might come to the location of offering before the time when that thing becomes available. When more than one person comes early, it is generally understood that the person who arrives first deserves the first opportunity to secure said thing.

However, there are cheaters. When Jim and I arrived at REI, there were approximately 15 people in line ahead of us...that is to say, approximately 15 people arrived at the location of the "thing" before we did. It would logically follow that when the time of the offering arrives, we would be the 16th and 17th persons to enter the sale. I would estimate that 40 people entered before us.

Now...I'm not anal-retentive, but something about the nonchalance and apparent lack of conscious haughtily displayed by 25 people CUTTING in line in front of me doesn't sit quite right. Especially when cheap gear is at stake. You might remember the Thompsonian analysis of the "gear-hungry mob" from the last sidewalk sale. Luckily, there were no elbows thrown or curses uttered (at least in my presence) at this event, but said attitude was certainly present.

Jim put me at ease with two simple words, "Gear Karma." Simply meaning, all those rude people would not find anything of note, and we (with Liberty and Justice for all) would find exactly what we were looking for at a price much better than expected. And it came to pass. I finally took the plunge and purchased downhill ski gear. I've wanted to ski since 1987 when my dad's planned winter trip was prevented by a torn ACL. The best part is...I got all I needed for $35.

I can't wait for the snow.

PB

6 comments:

eets said...

So am I to understand you hate all skiers now that you are a skiist? Maybe it's all non-skiers?

Peaby said...

Hmmm....didn't really think that one through.

But what about Pianists? They don't hate pianos!

Steph said...

My favorite part was "Libery and Justice for all."

Downhill skiing rules! And what about cyclist, and novelist, harpist, machinist, geologist...

Steph said...

Dang! Make that "LiberTy!!"

Jim said...

I like to ski!

- Jim One Man Support Crew for REI Used Gear Sale Marr

Roy B. said...

May both your ACLs remain in tact!