Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The majestic and very popular Timberline Trail encircles the mountain for 38 miles often crossing panoramic alpine meadows colored with summer wildflowers and through creeks that may rise dangerously in June and July when snow melts rapidly.

It's most certainly with a mix of enjoyment, challenge, and even pain that I enter into the mountains. On October 1 (weather permitting) Jim and I will be circumnavigate Mount Hood (Oregon's highest peak - 11,239 ft.) via the Timberline Trail. As indicated in the above quote from Backpacker Magazine, the trail is quite popular. Many people spend 3 or 4 days enjoying a panoramic experience of the multi-faceted volcano. However, we intend to complete the trek in one day - under 13 hours.

[Enter Pain]

Yesterday, wishing to take full advantage of the extra day off work, Jim and I decided to do a training run (we're not completely foolhardy). We ran one quarter of the Timberline Trail out-and-back. I use the term "ran" loosely, for in all actuality, there was very little running. We walked whenever the trail was uphill, and we jogged whenever the trail was level or downhill. We're not on par with the great trail runners of the world, but it seemed to be an effective strategy. We completed a distance (19+ miles) equal to half the total in just under 6 hours, and we're are fairly confident that the section we ran is representative of the rest. I've never gone 20 miles under my own power in one day, let alone 6 hours, so I cannot help but feel some sense of accomplishment.

I'm not sure what to think today. My body hurts. But at the same time...we completed what we set out to do. Obviously, physical ability is an integral part of accomplishing a feat like we hope to do 4 weeks from now. But I surmise that mental preparedness is just as vital.

So today, I will train my brain...and let my legs rest.

PB


Timberline Trail between Cloud Cap and Lamberson Butte.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Nice work yesterday. As the gentleman said on the trail, with head shaking..."Oh man."