Thursday, September 22, 2005

Yesterday was quite a ride! My mom called at 5:30am to tell us that my sister, Jen, was having contractions, and would be going to the doctor's office at 9 to see if this was "it." So, of course, we immediately sprung into action!! No...actually, I went to sleep for another hour. THEN I sprung into action. I called all the peeps who needed to know, and said I would keep them posted on the progress.

Figuring I had at least a few hours till the baby was born, I decided to go to work. I had an all-day meeting/seminar, and figured I could duck out if needed. I perched on the edge of my chair, waiting for the punctuated vibrations of the cell phone in my pocket. Now...this is one of those meetings where they expressly tell you to turn of your cell phones. So I felt a little sheepish getting up to check in whenever the phone beckoned. But this is much more important than the history/culture/motivation of my company.

As the hours passed, I checked in with my mom and brother-in-law, and relayed info to the rest of the gang. And then....the meeting was over. I was sure that I would "have" to leave early, but I made it. So I went home...around 3. Thinking for sure the baby would come at any minute, I was sad for Becky, because she was in class, and couldn't leave until 7! She might miss it. So I watched the clock, and I watched an airplane make an emergency landing in LA, and I watched the clock, and I watched Jepardy, and I watched the clock...waiting for the call. NO CALL. Becky comes home at 7:15, and we decide to go to the hospital. It's a good thing too, we made it JUST in time!! Just kidding. We arrived at the hospital with our other friends, and chatted with Jen & Trent until the nurse kicked us out for blood-drawing time. We all decided to crash at Jim & Steph's until the phone call came...supposed to be sometime around 1 or 2am. We waited and watched the LOST season premier. (I hate JJ Abrams). Eric and Sarah decided to go home, but Becky and I stayed so we could be closer to the hospital for the big moment. I fell asleep shortly after lost...only a few minutes into "The Man from Snowy River"...and thought the phone would wake me up at any moment.

6am. No call. I phoned my dad to see what was up...and NOTHING! Still waiting. So Becky and I drove home, showered and headed off to work.

So here I am. Sitting at work...working...sort of...waiting for a call. Any Time, JEN!

2 comments:

eets said...

wait. you didn't watch "Invasion"? Weren't you bored?

Steph said...

haha. that was a funny comment, eric. =)